All-Inclusive | Small Group Tour
Our escapes seat a max of 10 | Private Escapes are available on request for any size group
Mon, Thu, Sat | 7:30am – 7:30pm | Summer May 15 – Sep 30 | $225.00
This haunting and beautiful journey takes you into the heart of Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. Witness how the ecosystem is recovering and how reforestation efforts are being implemented by the U.S. Forest Service. You’ll journey just miles from the crater to view the steaming volcano and walk through the park with your naturalist guide to learn about how volcanoes are monitored and how geological events transpired during the 1980 eruption.
- Mt. St. Helens visitor center
- Scenic viewpoints
- Hiking, nature walks
- Waterfall viewing
- Wildlife spotting
- Geological Sightseeing
- Local & Natural History
- Cascadian Safari Lunch
Make your way to one of the region’s most ‘powerful’ attractions, Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. Stopping to take photos along the way your naturalist guide will present dramatic evidence of how the ecosystem is recovering among an ongoing reforestation project.
Arriving into the blast-zone, just five miles from the crater at the Johnston Ridge Observatory, we will take in stunning views into the volcano. Your naturalist guide will recount the geological events that occurred during the 1980 eruption through a variety of stories, facts and interpretative walks. You will experience how volcanoes are monitored and discover how Mount St. Helens has taught us new answers to old mysteries. The Center’s state-of-the-art interpretive displays and theater magically portray the sequence of geologic events that transformed the landscape and opened up a new era in the science of monitoring active volcanoes and forecasting eruptions. Read amazing eyewitness accounts from eruption survivors.
Later we will embark on a short walk on the Eruption Trail and learn how the eruption shaped the surrounding landscape. You can expect to see views of the lava dome, crater, pumice plain, and landslide deposit. On the return trip, we will experience the Hummocks Trail, where the largest landslide in recorded human history happened in the Coldwater Lake Recreation Area. You’ll see first hand how the environment was left to respond naturally to the eruption at 8:32 Sunday morning, May 18, 1980.
Nearly 230 square miles of forest were blown down or buried beneath volcanic deposits. At the same time a mushroom-shaped column of ash rose thousands of feet skyward and drifted downwind, turning day into night as dark, gray ash fell over eastern Washington and beyond. The eruption lasted 9 hours, but Mount St. Helens and the surrounding landscapes were altered forever within minutes.
*We operate under a Commerical Use Authorization within the Mt. St. Helens National Volcanic Monument and the Gifford-Pinchot National Forest.
Would you like some wine with that?
Enhance this experience by making it an overnight Wild and Wine Adventure! After your tour in Mt. St. Helens National Monument, spend the night in the heart of Pike Place Market, and then explore Woodinville Wine Country for an exclusive experience tasting some of the best wine of the region!
Full day Mt. St. Helens National Monument Tour
- Activities | Hiking and/or snowshoeing, nature walks, waterfall viewing, wildlife viewing, birding, ecological &
geological sightseeing with naturalist interpretation
- Interests | Forest ecology, glaciology, waterfalls, botany, natural & local history (wildflowers in late Summer)
- Group Size | Maximum of 10
- Pick-up and Drop-off at your Downtown Seattle Hotel, Cruise Terminal or downtown Arc’teryx retail store (400 Pike St.)
- Highly qualified naturalist Escape Artist guide
- Travel in adventure-outfitted Mercedes Vans and luxury SUVs
- Locally sourced and/or organic lunch
- Seasonal snacks and refreshments throughout the tour
- All entry fees
- Comprehensive naturalist commentary
- Duration | 12 hours
- Difficulty | Beginner
- Season | May 15 – Sep 30
- All-Inclusive Rate | $225 + tax per person
- Age | 6+
Ask about customizing this as a private escape!
EverGreen Escapes is Cascadia’s premier local and sustainable adventure, nature and epicurean tour company. Specializing in private and small group, naturalist led escapes in bio-fueled Mercedes Vans and Crossovers. We’re a small business with a Big Mission: to create positive change in the world by connecting people with places and nature. Our guides aren’t just naturalists, they’re Escape Artists.
- We recommend wearing layers that you can add if there is wind or rain, and remove when there is sunshine. Comfortable walking shoes will allow you to explore further at some of our stops. It’s always a good idea to bring sunglasses and a camera! We provide reusable water bottles, along with other snacks and refreshments. See more on how to Pack and Prepare.
2. How strenuous is this? How much experience do I need to have?
- All of our scheduled departures are meant for beginners (easy to moderate). We try to cater our tours to all ability and interest levels – and this really depends on the group that day. Your Escape artist will choose the difficulty of the physical activity based on the group’s interest and ability level. If you are interested in a different level, we can certainly put together a private itinerary specifically for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding specific questions!
3. Can I have vegetarian/ special diet food?
- Yes. Please advise us if you have any food restrictions or requests, we can accommodate vegetarian diets, lactose intolerant diets, and often times can also accommodate gluten free diets when given enough notice.
4. What is your Cancellation Policy?
- Please review our Terms and Conditions for information on changes and cancellations.
5. Should I get Travel Insurance?
- We recommend that you do. Travel insurance can be purchased to cover penalty costs in the event you need to cancel or change your travel plans (subject to approval of claim by the insurer). It also can provide medical and emergency assistance protection as well as some loss and delay coverage. Travel insurance can be purchased directly from EverGreen Escapes.
Prefer a private tailor-made adventure for your friends, family or corporate group?
Thank you for Exploring Cascadia with the Local Experts.