ActiVino! Waterfalls & Wine
All-Inclusive | Private Tour
A hike into the Columbia River Gorge is the perfect morning adventure to complement an afternoon tasting of fine wines. This day outing begins with a moderate hike through this lush river valley. Follow your naturalist guide past streams and waterfalls, spotting for wildlife. Then enhance the Northwest experience by heading into Hood River for tastings at two boutique wineries. In an intimate setting, learn local wine making history and the art of viticulture.
- Track and spot wildlife and local bird species
- Interpretive hiking, and educational ecology, geology, sustainability and local history from our Naturalist specialists
- Exclusive boutique Oregon winery tastings in Hood River
- Learn about the vine-to-wine process from local winemakers
- Cascadian Safari Lunch
Your expedition begins in the Columbia River National Scenic Area. This place is overflowing with waterfalls, peaks, rivers and streams and is the perfect region to enjoy the outdoors and hiking. Depending on conditions, your guide will pick the Trail of the Day and embark on a moderate hike through this northwest wonderland experiencing the forest’s beauty and the adaptive ecosystem! Track and spot wildlife and mountain birds, all the while making sure we take time to enjoy the magical scenery. You will also witness a grand landscape in motion – as seen from a geological perspective – and see firsthand the forces that have shaped the land, which only adds to the pleasure of the remarkable river gorge. After your hike, get treated to a gourmet lunch EverGreen Escapes style!
Nearing the town of Hood River we will embark on a tour of a few local wineries, each one unique and charming in its own way, and of course sample some of the boutique wines found only here in Oregon. The weather, views, and wines make for an unparalleled vineyard experience. While we are between wineries your guide will tell the story of the land, both natural and cultural history, so that with each sip of wine you can begin to understand and experience a little more how the forces that shaped this incredible landscape have also shaped the wine in your glass, creating a terroir that can only be found in this secluded paradise. Some of the wineries we may visit include Cathedral Ridge and Wy’east, among others depending on the season. After our fill of excellent wines, it is back to Portland in time to enjoy the sights and sounds of the city!
Full-day ActiVino! “Waterfalls & Wine”
- Activities | Paddling, wildlife spotting, birding, wine touring, tasting sightseeing with naturalist interpretation
- Interests | Wine, sustainability in wine making, marine biology, sustainability, neighborhoods, ecology, natural history, birds, wildlife
- Group Size | Any
- Pick-up and drop-off at your Portland hotel or cruise terminal
- Highly qualified naturalist Escape Artist guide
- Travel in adventure-outfitted Mercedes Vans or Luxury Coaches
- Seasonal refreshments throughout the tour
- Lunch in downtown Hood River
- All wine tasting fees
- All entry fees
- Comprehensive naturalist commentary
- Duration | 9 hours
- All-Inclusive Rate | Starts at $275 per person
- Age | 21+
See our Pack and Prepare list before you go.
Contact us to book a private ActiVino! experience, no group is too small or too big!
EverGreen Escapes is Cascadia’s premier local and sustainable adventure, nature and epicurean tour company. Specializing in private and small group, naturalist led escapes in Mercedes Vans and Crossovers. We’re a small business with a Big Mission: to create positive change in the world by connecting people with places and nature. Our guides aren’t just naturalists, they’re Escape Artists.
1. What should we wear/bring on our escape?
- We recommend wearing layers that you can add if there is wind or rain, and remove when there is sunshine. Comfortable clothing that dries quickly (no cotton,) is recommended. It’s always a good idea to bring sunglasses and a camera! We provide reusable water bottles, along with other snacks and refreshments. See more on how to Pack and Prepare.
2. How strenuous is this? How much experience do I need to have?
- All of our scheduled departures are meant for beginners (easy to moderate). We try to cater our tours to all ability and interest levels – and this really depends on the group that day. Your Escape artist will choose the difficulty of the physical activity based on the group’s interest and ability level. If you are interested in a different level, we can certainly put together a private itinerary specifically for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding specific questions!
3. Can I have vegetarian/ special diet food?
- Yes. Please advise us if you have any food restrictions or requests, we can accommodate vegetarian diets, lactose intolerant diets, and often times can also accommodate gluten free diets when given enough notice.
4. What is your Cancellation Policy?
- Please review our Terms and Conditions for information on changes and cancellations.
5. Should I get Travel Insurance?
- We recommend that you do. Travel insurance can be purchased to cover penalty costs in the event you need to cancel or change your travel plans (subject to approval of claim by the insurer). It also can provide medical and emergency assistance protection as well as some loss and delay coverage.
6. Should I tip my guide?
- We take great personal and professional pride in orchestrating rich and memorable adventures for each and every client we engage with, sometimes our clients are inspired to show their appreciation in the form of a gratuity. While gratuities are not an expectation, our guides traditionally receive an amount consistent with the rest of the service industry in the U.S., somewhere between 10% and 20%.
Thank you for exploring the Pacific Northwest with Evergreen Escapes!