All-Inclusive | Private-Only
Year-Round | 8:30am – 4:30pm | Available Daily | Contact Us for Pricing and Availability
Draped across geological fault lines and perched along foggy coastline, San Francisco has been undeniably influenced by its natural history and stunning environments. Explore the Bay Area’s best beaches, forests, and trails through the eyes of a naturalist on this guided excursion.
Start your day by crossing the iconic Golden Gate Bridge to reach the Marin Headlands. Walk with your naturalist guide along the dramatic seaside cliffs of the coastal trail and Hawk Hill, and watch for birds of prey soaring over the water or sea lions congregating along the coast. Your next stop is Muir Woods, a grove of towering redwoods where gentle trails are lined by emerald ferns and banana slugs amble along the path. After exploring the forest, head down to Muir Beach to enjoy a local picnic lunch overlooking the blue waters of the Gulf of Farallones, before heading back into the city.
Spend your afternoon experiencing San Francisco’s parks. Depending on the conditions of the day, you may stroll through the herbal-scented eucalyptus forests of the Lands End Sutro District or among the flutter of birds and butterflies in the serpentine grasslands of the Presidio.
The Natural Wonders of San Francisco Tour includes pick-up/drop-off from Downtown San Francisco hotels, a fresh, family-style lunch, transportation in a luxury vehicle, all entry fees, and a naturalist guide. All of our small group tours have a maximum of ten guests to ensure an intimate and personalized experience.
[tabs style=”default”][tab title=”Escape Plan”]
- Feel the cool bay breeze as you marvel at the Golden Gate Bridge and hear stories of its creation
- Embark on interpretative nature walks among the rolling coastal hills, teeming birdlife, and military history of the Marin Headlands
- Stroll in the grandeur of mammoth redwood trees in Muir Woods
- Experience how natural forces have shaped urban ecosystems and development in the Bay Area
- Learn about the San Andreas fault system which generates the city’s notorious earthquakes
- Wander the ruins of the once-grandiose Sutro Baths at Lands End or traverse the diverse habitats of the aptly-named Ecology Trail in the Presidio
- Savor a fresh, family-style lunch in scenic surroundings
On our full-day Natural Wonders of San Francisco Tour you’ll experience the highlights and hidden gems of the Bay Area through the lens of a local guide! Take in San Francisco’s famous hilly terrain, rich history, eccentric culture, and stunning surroundings.
Start your San Francisco tour by crossing the iconic Golden Gate Bridge and stop to marvel at this feat of engineering and hear captivating stories of its creation. Then head to the Marin Headlands, part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area. The Park is a great spot to discuss the active fault lines that have produced the area’s uneven terrain. We’ll take time to walk gentle trails, watch birds hover over the waters of Rodeo Lagoon, and look for sea lions and seals at the base of coastal cliffs. Positioned at the mouth of the San Francisco Bay, the Marin Headlands also served as a strategic military location and many fascinating remnants of World War II and the Cold War can still be seen in the Park today.
After the Marin Headlands, your next stop is Muir Woods for a stroll through an old-growth forest of massive redwoods, some of which have grown to nearly 300 ft! Then we’ll go to nearby Muir Beach to enjoy a fresh, family-style lunch. The beach has undergone recent floodplain restorations to rebuild habitats for salmon and red-legged frogs.
Explore San Francisco’s Parks
Once we’ve finished lunch, it’s back across the Golden Gate Bridge to experience San Francisco’s scenic spots. We may head to Ocean Beach for a taste of the San Fran surfing life and a look at the city’s famous fog. Afterwards, it’s a short trip around the corner to the ruins of the Sutro Baths and eucalyptus trees of Land’s End.
Another possible option is to walk around the native grasslands of the Presidio. Overlooking the Bay, the Presidio was an important locale to both native peoples and Spanish settlers, and is one of the best urban ecosystems in the city.
Throughout your Beyond San Francisco Tour your “Escape Artist” guide will weave a narrative of the city that covers topics from native ecology to California cuisine. We’ll also escape our luxury van frequently to experience the sights firsthand and immerse ourselves in this amazing city!
Would you like some wine with that?
Enhance this experience by making it an overnight paired with a Sonoma Wine Country Tour!
[tab title=”Quick Facts”]
Natural Wonders of San Francisco Tour with Muir Woods & Marin Headlands
- Activities | Nature walks, photography, wildlife spotting, and iconic and educational sightseeing with naturalist, historical, and cultural interpretation
- Interests | Parks, sustainability, local culture, neighborhoods, bridges, sea lions, marine life, and local and natural history
- Pick-up and Drop-off at your Downtown San Francisco Hotel or the Hyatt Centric Fisherman’s Wharf at 555 North Point St. (see our pick-up zone here)
- Naturalist Escape Artist guide
- Travel in luxury vehicle
- Seasonal snacks and refreshments throughout the tour
- Local lunch
- Comprehensive naturalist commentary
- Duration | 8 hours
- Season | Year-Round
- Difficulty | Beginner
- All-Inclusive Rate | Contact us for pricing and availability
- Age | All ages
[/tab][tab title=”About Us”]
Evergreen Escapes blends the best natural wonders, boutique wineries, and urban enchantments into small-group day tours and private, custom escapes. We’re a small business with a Big Mission: to create positive change in the world by connecting people with places and nature. Our guides aren’t just naturalists, they’re Escape Artists.[/tab]
1. What should we wear/bring on our escape?
- We suggest wearing layers that you can add if there is wind or rain, and remove when there is sun. We also suggest wearing comfortable walking shoes so that you can explore further at some of our stops. Finally, it’s always a good idea to bring sunglasses and a camera! We provide reusable water bottles, along with other snacks and refreshments. Please also see our Pack and Prepare page.
2. How strenuous is this? How much experience do I need to have?
- All of our scheduled departures are meant for beginners (easy to moderate). We try to cater our tours to all ability and interest levels – and this really depends on the group that day. Your Escape artist will choose the difficulty of the physical activity based on the group’s interest and ability level. If you are interested in a different level, we can create a private itinerary specifically for you. Please also don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions!
3. Can I have vegetarian/ special diet food?
- Yes. Please advise us if you have any food restrictions or requests. We can accommodate vegetarian and lactose intolerant diets. We also can often provide gluten free food when given enough notice.
4. What is your Cancellation Policy?
- Please review our Terms and Conditions for information on changes and cancellations.
[hr] 5. Should I get Travel Insurance?
- We suggest that you do. Travel insurance can be purchased to cover costs in the event you need to cancel or change your travel plans (subject to approval of claim by the insurer). It also can provide medical and emergency assistance protection, as well as some loss and delay coverage. Travel insurance can be purchased directly from Evergreen Escapes.
[hr] 6. Should I tip my guide?
- We take great pride in delivering rich and memorable adventures for each and every client. As a result, many of our clients are inspired to show their appreciation in the form of a gratuity. While tips are not an expectation, our guides traditionally receive an amount consistent with the rest of the service industry in the U.S., somewhere between 10% and 20%.
Prefer a private tailor-made adventure for your friends, family or corporate group?
Contact an Escape Artist for a custom tour, morale building adventure, or retreat.
Thank you for Exploring with the Local Experts.