Portland | Eco-Tourism Guide
Portland-based Eco-tourism Guide for small group, luxury nature adventures in the Pacific Northwest.
The Evergreen Escapes guide directs small (generally 10 guests or fewer) public and private nature adventures that depart from Portland, OR. Evergreen Escapes seeks guides for the 2018 season with the possibility of long-term positions for the right candidate(s). We operate tours year-round; tour volume is highest April through October, during which time we need Full-Time Hourly, Part-Time Hourly, and On-Call Hourly guides to join our existing veteran staff. While most of our trips are single day trips, we regularly lead private multi-day trips.
Our mission is to inspire positive change through transformational experiences – connecting people, places, and our environment.
Evergreen Escapes is widely recognized as our region’s most reputable adventure travel company, specializing in crafting upscale nature, adventure, epicurean, and education-based experiences throughout Cascadia and beyond. We provide authentic and educational local experiences via small group, custom and private half-, full-, and multi-day escapes, providing our clients with immersion experiences in our mountains, islands, waterways, culture, farms, fare, brew, wine, and spirits. Our demographics generally include adults aged 25-70 from across the United States and worldwide. We maintain primary base camps in Seattle, WA, and Portland, OR, USA.
• Lead or assist a diverse range of half-, full-, and multi-day tours. Much of the time will be spent working alone with clients. Naturalist/adventure tours of Mt Hood, Columbia Gorge, Mt St Helens, Oregon Coast, and Portland city tours will be among your primary workload.
• Give interpretive commentary about Pacific Northwest region (Cascadia), human history, natural history, and general ecology.
• Safely transport clients in luxury Mercedes vans or SUV’s and ensure that clients are picked up and delivered to correct end point on time.
• Meet/exceed industry standard protocol when managing clients in various wilderness-adventure environments which may include: sea kayaking, hiking, snowshoeing, and rock climbing.
• Professionally present and serve local/organic food, coffee, and wine.
• Provide professional appearance and conduct with all clients, colleagues, and partner organizations.
QUALIFICATIONS – REQUIRED
• resident of greater Portlandia or willingness to relocate immediately
• experience in environmental, outdoor, and/or adventure education (strong naturalist specialties required)
• Responsible, independent, creative-thinking, self-starting, charismatic individual
• Able to provide 5-star guest service for individuals from various backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures
• Clean driving record
• Comfortable driving 12-passenger luxury Mercedes vans, crossovers or SUV’s in all conditions (city streets under heavy traffic through winter mountain roads requiring chains to be installed/removed). [Training provided.]
• Within first two weeks of hire, must have completed WFR + CPR, Leave No Trace Awareness certification, In-House Driver training, Food Handlers permit and alcohol handling “mixologist” permit (some of these provided).
• Ability to lift 40 lbs/18 kg
• Pass an Oregon State Patrol background check
QUALIFICATIONS – DESIRED (some or all)
• 4-year degree or higher
• minimum 4 years experience as an educator and/or interpretive guide
• experience in leadership development, team building, and/or group facilitation
• knowledge of naturalist specialties which may include: birding, ethnobotany, geology, snow morphology, glaciology, or vulcanology.
• pertinent adventure certifications, including: AMGA single pitch instructor (or higher), ACA/BCU sea kayak certs, and/or avalanche Level 1 (or higher).
• PNW region-specific knowledge of geography, culture, natural & human history, and ecology
• multilingual (especially Japanese, Mandarin, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Arabic, and/or German)
• Our base pay is $15/hour with significant opportunities for advancement and raises on these rates. Higher starting rates apply to those with appropriate certifications and experience. Guides keep any/all gratuities.
• on-the-job education
• friends-and-family discounts on tours
• Industry discounts on services, equipment, and clothing
• Opportunities for training, networking, & professional development in industries of: adventure travel, outdoor/environmental education, travel/leisure, and meetings/event management
Qualified candidates should email “jpietka at evergreenescapes.com” with a resume, cover letter, and 2 references. No calls, please. Positions are open until needs are fulfilled.