Portland | Wine Guide
Portland-based guides for winery, brewery, distillery, and city tours in the Pacific Northwest region.
Our Escape Artists provide direct service of Portland-based tours for set departures, private luxury epicurean tours, and corporate programs. Evergreen Escapes seeks Part-time guides for the upcoming season, with the possibility of a salaried position for the right candidate. Tour volume will be highest April through September with the possibility of extending hourly employment indefinitely into the future.
Evergreen Escapes is Cascadia’s most reputable epicurean tour operator. We specialize in providing authentic and educational local experiences via small group, custom, and private half-, full-, and multi-day escapes led by local “Escape Artist” guides who provide our clients with immersive experiences in our mountains, islands, waterways, urban centers, farms, breweries, wineries, and distilleries. Evergreen Escapes also designs and hosts adventures and excursions to six continents in the world. Our demographics primarily include adults aged 35-75 from across the United States and worldwide. We maintain base camps in Seattle, WA, and Portland, OR, USA.
Our mission is to inspire positive change through transformational experiences – connecting people, places, and our environment.
• Lead or assist a diverse range of half-, full-, and multi-day tours, retreats and team building programs. Much of the time will be spent working alone with clients. Your primary responsibility will be guiding wine, beer, and city tours
• Provide interpretive commentary about the Pacific Northwest region (Cascadia), human history, natural history, and general ecology, as it pertains to food/beverage cultivation, preparation, and service throughout the PNW farm-to-table experience
• Safely transport clients in luxury Mercedes vans or SUV’s and ensure that clients are picked up and delivered to the correct end point on time
• Maintain a professional appearance and conduct with all clients, colleagues, and partner organizations
QUALIFICATIONS – REQUIRED
• Resident of greater Portland or willingness to relocate immediately
• Experience in restaurant/hospitality industry, and/or experience as an educator or interpretive guide (wine speciality experience preferred)
• Responsible, independent, creative-thinking, self-starting, charismatic individual
• Able to provide 5-star guest service for individuals from various backgrounds, beliefs, and cultures
• Clean driving record
• Comfortable driving 12-passenger luxury Mercedes vans, crossovers, or SUVs in all conditions (including heavily-trafficked city streets and winter mountain roads that require chains to be installed/removed). [Training provided.]
• Within first two weeks of hire, must have completed First Aid & CPR certification, Leave No Trace Awareness certification, In-House Driver training, Food Handlers permit, and alcohol handling “mixologist” permit (some of these provided).
• Ability to lift 40 lbs/18 kg
• Pass an Oregon State Patrol background check
QUALIFICATIONS – DESIRED (some or all)
• 4-year degree or higher
• Minimum 4 years experience as an educator, sommelier, and/or interpretive guide
• Sommelier certification/diploma
• Vintner and/or viticulture experience
• Ciserone/beer sommelier certification
• Brewing experience (home or commercial)
• Knowledge of distillation processes and regional spirits
• PNW region-specific knowledge of geography, AVAs, culture, natural & human history, and ecology
• Experience in environmental, outdoor, and/or adventure education
• Wilderness First Aid (WFA) or Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification a plus
• Our base pay is $14.00/hour with significant opportunities for advancement and raises. Higher starting rates apply to those with appropriate certifications and experience.
• On-the-job education
• Friends-and-family discounts on tours
• Industry discounts on services, equipment and clothing
• Opportunities for training, networking & professional development in the industries of adventure & epicurean travel, outdoor/environmental education, and meetings/event management
Qualified candidates should email “jpietka at evergreenescapes.com” a resume, cover letter, and 3 references. No calls, please. Positions are open until needs are fulfilled.