Evergreen Escapes Eco-tourism Guide in Seattle, WA, leading small, luxury nature adventures in the Pacific Northwest.
Evergreen Escapes guides direct small (generally 10 guests or fewer) public and private nature adventures that depart from Seattle, WA. Evergreen Escapes seeks guides for the 2017 peak season with the possibility of long term positions for the right candidate(s). We operate tours year-round with the highest volume May through October. We’re currently looking for one guide with a flexible schedule to work 1-3 tours per week (daily hours would approximately be 6:30 am to 7:30 pm).
Our mission is to inspire positive change through transformational experiences – connecting people, places, and our environment.
Evergreen Escapes is widely recognized as our region’s most reputable adventure travel company, specializing in crafting upscale nature, adventure, epicurean, and education-based experiences throughout Cascadia and beyond. We provide authentic and educational local experiences via small group, custom, and private half-, full-, and multi-day tours. Evergreen Escapes also designs and hosts adventures and excursions to six continents in the world. We keep our primary base camp in Seattle, WA, with smaller offices in Portland, OR, and San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Lead a diverse range of full- and multi-day tours. Much of the time will be spent working alone with clients (partly the reason we look for experienced candidates). Your primary workload will be naturalist/adventure tours of Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens, and the Olympic Peninsula.
- Give interpretive commentary about the Pacific Northwest region (Cascadia), human history, natural history, and general ecology.
- Safely transport clients in luxury Mercedes vans or SUVs and ensure that clients are picked up and delivered to correct end point on time.
- Meet/exceed industry standard protocol when managing clients in various wilderness-adventure environments which typically include hiking or snowshoeing.
- Professionally present and serve local/organic food, coffee, and wine.
- Maintain professional appearance and conduct with all clients, colleagues, and partner organizations.
QUALIFICATIONS – REQUIRED
- 21 years old or older (for insurance purposes) and a resident of greater Seattle (a must).
- Experience in environmental, outdoor, and/or adventure education (semi-confident naturalists required).
- Responsible, independent, creative, self-starting, charismatic individual. It won’t work if you’re not an early riser and don’t work well alone.
- Able to provide 5-star guest service for individuals from various backgrounds, beliefs and cultures.
- Clean driving record.
- Comfortable driving 10-passenger luxury Mercedes vans, crossovers, or SUVs in all conditions (including city streets under heavy traffic and winter mountain roads that require chains to be installed/removed).
- Within first two weeks of hire, must have completed CPR and 1st Aid (WFR is preferred), DOT medical examiner’s certificate (minor physical), In-House Driver training, WA Food Handlers permit and “Class 12” alcohol handling “mixologist” permit (reimbursed by Evergreen Escapes).
- Ability to lift 40 lbs/18 kg.
- Pass a Washington State Patrol background check.
QUALIFICATIONS – DESIRED (any or all)
- 4-year degree or higher.
- Minimum 1 year of experience as an educator and/or interpretive guide.
- Experience in leadership development, team building, and/or group facilitation.
- Knowledge of naturalist specialties which may include: anthropology, birding, botany, geology, glaciology, or volcanology.
- Pertinent adventure certifications, including: WFR, Leave No Trace, ACA/BCU sea kayak certs, and/or avalanche Level 1.
- PNW region-specific knowledge of geography, culture, natural & human history, and ecology.
- Our base pay is $15/hour with significant opportunities for advancement and raises on these rates. Higher starting rates apply to those with appropriate certifications and experience. You keep all customer gratuities, there are bonuses for leading many of our trips, and we offer several reimbursements for training completed while on staff (i.e. WFR recertification, etc).
- On-the-job training and education.
- Friends-and-family discounts on tours
- Opportunities for training, networking, & professional development in industries of: adventure travel, outdoor/environmental education, travel/leisure, food and wine, and meetings/event management.
- Industry discounts on services, equipment, and clothing.