Whitewater & Wine Tasting
All-Inclusive Small Group Tour | Sun & Thurs | June through September
$299 per person | Memorial Day Weekend dates available!
On this unbelievable tour you will tackle whitewater – splashing through class III and IV rapids – and then will challenge your palate with Oregon’s amazing, handcrafted wines. Heading east from Portland, we will cross over to Washington State to float down the exciting White Salmon River with professional river guides. On the water you will experience the power of this mighty river and learn about the unique ecosystem that calls it home. Then we’ll dry off, change clothes and make our way to Hood River, where we’ll enhance the Northwest experience by tasting at two boutique wineries. In an intimate setting, learn local wine making history and the art of viticulture.
- Learn about the region’s ecology, geology, sustainability and local history from your naturalist guide
- Whitewater raft the class III and IV rapids of the White Salmon River
- Taste fine wine at the boutique wineries in and around the town of Hood River
- Learn about the vine-to-wine process from local winemakers
- Savor a local picnic lunch!
Come face to face with whitewater on this exciting full day tour. We will start the day getting oriented with our gear, rafting guides and boats before a brief training on paddling and commands. Soak it all in now, before you’re soaked in the White Salmon’s rushing rapids. Once outfitted, we’ll hit the water. Within the first few minutes, your heart will be pounding as your ride over class III and IV rapids but there’s no looking back so we’ll all just keep paddling forward. While on the water, your guide will point out the river’s unique features, native wildlife and how the power of water shapes the land. Along the way, hop out of the boat for an opportunity to jump off of the canyons high rocks into the water. If water levels are high enough (and you’re daring enough), the river tour finishes with an optional float over a 10 feet a ten foot waterfall!
Nearing the town of Hood River we will embark on a tour of a few local wineries, each one unique and charming in its own way, and of course sample some of the boutique wines found only here in Oregon. The weather, views, and wines make for an unparalleled vineyard experience. While we are between wineries your guide will tell the story of the land, both natural and cultural history, so that with each sip of wine you can begin to understand and experience a little more how the forces that shaped this incredible landscape have also shaped the wine in your glass, creating a terroir that can only be found in this secluded paradise. Some of the wineries we may visit include Cathedral Ridge, Wy’East Vineyards, Aniche Cellars, or Mt. Hood Winery, among others depending on the season. After our fill of excellent wines, it is back to Portland in time to enjoy the sights and sounds of the city!
ADDITIONAL TOUR DETAILS:
Activities: Whitewater rafting, exclusive wine tasting, nature walks, wildlife & waterfall viewing, birding, ecological & geological sightseeing with naturalist interpretation
Interests: Rafting, geology, viticulture, wine, waterfalls, glaciology, sustainability, natural & local history
Group Size: Any
Pick-up and drop-off at your downtown Portland hotel or cruise terminal
Highly-qualified naturalist guide
Travel in new Ford Transits, Mercedes Sprinter vans or luxury SUVs
Seasonal refreshments throughout the tour
Local picnic lunch
All gear and equipment
All wine tasting fees
All entry fees
Comprehensive naturalist commentary
Duration: 10.5 hours
All-Inclusive Rate: $299 per person
Minimum Age: 21+
See our Pack and Prepare list before you go.
Evergreen Escapes is the Northwest’s premier local tour company. We specialize in small group, naturalist-led escapes in our Mercedes vans and luxury SUVs. We’re a small business on a mission: to create positive change in the world by connecting people to each other, to our epic places, and to nature.
1. What should we wear/bring on our escape?
- We recommend wearing layers that you can add if there is wind or rain, and remove when there is sunshine. Comfortable clothing that dries quickly (no cotton,) is recommended. It’s always a good idea to bring sunglasses and a camera! We provide reusable water bottles, along with other snacks and refreshments. See more on how to Pack and Prepare.
- You’ll be provided with a wetsuit and booties for whitewater rafting, and there are changing rooms and secure storage available with our rafting partner. It’s ideal to start the day with a swimsuit (any style) underneath your clothes, or wear non-cotton layers that can get wet – you’ll put your wetsuit on over the top. Towels are provided, and you’ll have time to change into comfortable clothing after rafting. No need to bring a fancy outfit for wine tasting, as the experience in the Columbia Gorge is very casual!
2. How strenuous is this? How much experience do I need to have?
- All of our scheduled departures are meant for beginners (easy to moderate). We try to cater our tours to all ability and interest levels – and this really depends on the group that day. Your Escape artist will choose the difficulty of the physical activity based on the group’s interest and ability level. If you are interested in a different level, we can certainly put together a private itinerary specifically for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding specific questions!
3. Can I have vegetarian/ special diet food?
- Yes. Please advise us if you have any food restrictions or requests, we can accommodate vegetarian diets, lactose intolerant diets, and often times can also accommodate gluten free diets when given enough notice.
4. What is your Cancellation Policy?
- Please review our Terms and Conditions for information on changes and cancellations.
5. Should I get Travel Insurance?
- We recommend that you do. Travel insurance can be purchased to cover penalty costs in the event you need to cancel or change your travel plans (subject to approval of claim by the insurer). It also can provide medical and emergency assistance protection as well as some loss and delay coverage.
6. Should I tip my guide?
- We take great personal and professional pride in orchestrating rich and memorable adventures for each and every client we engage with, sometimes our clients are inspired to show their appreciation in the form of a gratuity. While gratuities are not an expectation, our guides traditionally receive an amount consistent with the rest of the service industry in the U.S., somewhere between 10% and 20%.
Thank you for exploring the Pacific Northwest with Evergreen Escapes!
Our scheduled tours from Portland are led by expert guides and have a maximum of ten guests to ensure an intimate and personalized experience. These tours are also available as private escapes. Click on a tour below to learn more or book now (or view our tour calendar). Have a large group? We can accommodate any number of explorers on a private trip–let us know more here!