Whitewater & Wine Tasting
All-Inclusive | Private Tour
On this unbelievable tour you will tackle whitewater – splashing through class III and IV rapids – and then will challenge your palate with Oregon’s amazing, handcrafted wines. Heading east from Portland, we will cross over to Washington to float down the exciting White Salmon River with professional river guides. On the water you will experience the power of this mighty river and learn about the unique ecosystem that calls it home. Then we’ll dry off, change clothes and make our way to Hood River, where we’ll enhance the Northwest experience by tasting at two boutique wineries. In an intimate setting, learn local wine making history and the art of viticulture.
- Learn about the region’s ecology, geology, sustainability and local history from your naturalist guide
- Whitewater raft the class III and IV rapids of the White Salmon River
- Taste fine wine at the boutique wineries in and around the town of Hood River
- Learn about the vine-to-wine process from local winemakers
- Savor a Cascadian Safari Lunch
Come face to face with whitewater on this exciting full day tour. We will start the day getting oriented with our gear, rafting guides and boats before a brief training on paddling and commands. Soak it all in now, before you’re soaked in the White Salmon’s rushing rapids. Once outfitted, we’ll hit the water. Within the first few minutes, your heart will be pounding as your ride over class III and IV rapids but there’s no looking back so we’ll all just keep paddling forward. While on the water, your guide will point out the river’s unique features, native wildlife and how the power of water shapes the land. Along the way, hop out of the boat for an opportunity to jump off of the canyons high rocks into the water. If water levels are high enough (and you’re daring enough), the river tour finishes with an optional float over a 10 feet a ten foot waterfall!
Nearing the town of Hood River we will embark on a tour of a few local wineries, each one unique and charming in its own way, and of course sample some of the boutique wines found only here in Oregon. The weather, views, and wines make for an unparalleled vineyard experience. While we are between wineries your guide will tell the story of the land, both natural and cultural history, so that with each sip of wine you can begin to understand and experience a little more how the forces that shaped this incredible landscape have also shaped the wine in your glass, creating a terroir that can only be found in this secluded paradise. Some of the wineries we may visit include Wy’East, AniChe Cellars, or Wind River Cellars, among others depending on the season. After our fill of excellent wines, it is back to Portland in time to enjoy the sights and sounds of the city!
Full-day ActiVino! “Whitewater & Wine”
- Activities | Whitewater rafting, exclusive wine tasting, nature walks, waterfall viewing, wildlife viewing, birding, ecological & geological sightseeing with naturalist interpretation
- Interests | Rafting, geology, viticulture, wine, waterfalls, glaciology, sustainability, natural & local history
- Group Size | Any
- Pick-up and drop-off at your downtown Portland hotel or cruise terminal
- Highly qualified naturalist Escape Artist guide
- Travel in adventure-outfitted Mercedes Vans or Luxury SUVs
- Seasonal refreshments throughout the tour
- Cascadian Safari Lunch
- Whitewater Rafting
- All gear and equipment
- All wine tasting fees
- All entry fees
- Comprehensive naturalist commentary
- Duration | 10.5 hours
- All-Inclusive Rate | Inquire for pricing (varies by season and number of guests)
- Age | 21+
See our Pack and Prepare list before you go.
EverGreen Escapes is Cascadia’s premier local and sustainable adventure, nature and epicurean tour company. Specializing in private and small group, naturalist led escapes in bio-fueled Mercedes Vans and luxury SUVs. We’re a small business with a Big Mission: to create positive change in the world by connecting people with places and nature. Our guides aren’t just naturalists, they’re Escape Artists.
1. What should we wear/bring on our escape?
- We recommend wearing layers that you can add if there is wind or rain, and remove when there is sunshine. Comfortable clothing that dries quickly (no cotton,) is recommended. It’s always a good idea to bring sunglasses and a camera! We provide reusable water bottles, along with other snacks and refreshments. See more on how to Pack and Prepare.
2. How strenuous is this? How much experience do I need to have?
- All of our scheduled departures are meant for beginners (easy to moderate). We try to cater our tours to all ability and interest levels – and this really depends on the group that day. Your Escape artist will choose the difficulty of the physical activity based on the group’s interest and ability level. If you are interested in a different level, we can certainly put together a private itinerary specifically for you. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions regarding specific questions!
3. Can I have vegetarian/ special diet food?
- Yes. Please advise us if you have any food restrictions or requests, we can accommodate vegetarian diets, lactose intolerant diets, and often times can also accommodate gluten free diets when given enough notice.
4. What is your Cancellation Policy?
- Please review our Terms and Conditions for information on changes and cancellations.
5. Should I get Travel Insurance?
- We recommend that you do. Travel insurance can be purchased to cover penalty costs in the event you need to cancel or change your travel plans (subject to approval of claim by the insurer). It also can provide medical and emergency assistance protection as well as some loss and delay coverage. Travel insurance can be purchased directly from EverGreen Escapes.
6. Should I tip my guide?
- We take great personal and professional pride in orchestrating rich and memorable adventures for each and every client we engage with, sometimes our clients are inspired to show their appreciation in the form of a gratuity. While gratuities are not an expectation, our guides traditionally receive an amount consistent with the rest of the service industry in the U.S., somewhere between 10% and 20%.
Thank you for exploring the Pacific Northwest with Evergreen Escapes!