All-Inclusive | Small Group Explore Portland Tour
Our escapes seat a max of 10 | Private Explore Portland tours are also available, please contact us to book
Year-Round | 8:00 am – 12:00 pm | Mon, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun | $79
This fun, small-group Explore Portland tour takes you out of downtown and into the eclectic neighborhoods and leafy parks where Portland truly shines! Experience the Rose City like a local as you
visit iconic sites and your guide’s favorite spots.
Begin your day at the grounds of the Pittock Mansion for unparalleled views of the city and Mt. Hood. The historic setting is an ideal place to discuss Portland’s pioneer history and get an overview of the city’s layout and development.
Next you’ll explore some of the city’s 8,100 acres of protected natural areas in Portland’s famous parks. Take in the fragrant bouquet of roses or cherry blossoms, see the carefully planned landscape design of John Charles Olmsted, witness how sustainability is integrated into the urban environment, and learn about the cinder-cone volcanoes that once covered the area.
After experiencing the city’s natural side, dive into its artsy and independent spirit. Experience neighborhoods such as the Pearl District, Hawthorne, Nob Hill, Alberta, and North Mississippi for a slice of Portlandia, embodied in food truck pods, hip specialty boutiques, and craft breweries.
Every Explore Portland Tour features an expert guide who will delve into the city’s rich history, quirky culture, and commitment to greenery and sustainability. You’ll also ride in style in a luxury Mercedes van or SUV, hopping out to stroll through parks and neighborhoods.
or call us toll-free at (866) 203-7603!
- Get a taste of Portland’s greenery and sustainability as you visit at least two of the following parks: Washington Park, Mt Tabor Park, and McCall Waterfront Park
- Stop to smell the roses at the International Rose Test Garden (summer only)
- Immerse yourself in the city’s eccentric culture in quirky corridors like Alberta or Mississippi Streets
- Walk the grounds of the Pittock Mansion for a bird’s-eye view of the city
- Cross Portland’s famous bridges to visit neighborhoods in each of the four distinct city quadrants
- Learn about the city’s history, urban development, restaurant/beer/coffee scene, and more
- Enjoy French press coffee brewed with beans from one of Portland’s local roasters and stop at one of the city’s new wave of gourmet doughnut shops
Portland, also known as The City of Roses, Stumptown, Bridgetown, Rip City, Little Beirut, Beervana or Beertown, is Oregon’s most populous city, and the third largest city in the Pacific Northwest. Whether in the Cultural District downtown or a transfigured warehouse in the trendy Pearl District, it is easy to see why Lonely Planet named Portland one of the best cities to travel to in 2017. Portland is known for its large number of microbreweries, enthusiasm for coffee, strong land-use planning, excellent public transportation, and progressive regional government.
We will start our Portland tour by enjoying coffee and other refreshments while taking in iconic views of the city and its surrounding volcanic peaks at the historic Pittock Mansion. The Pittock Mansion was home to two influential Portland pioneers Henry and Georgiana Pittock from 1914 to 1919 and is now a city park and treasured landmark.
Next we’ll experience the neighborhoods! Portland is divided into four main quadrants: Northeast, Northwest, Southeast and Southwest. Explore the distinct feel and unique attractions of each quadrant, including art galleries, boutiques, cafes, restaurants, and performance spaces. Your guide will also recount the fascinating history of a few of the ten famous bridges that connect the quadrants. Some of the other neighborhoods we will visit include the Pearl District, Nob Hill, and Hawthorne.
Explore Portland’s Parks
In addition to its urban edge, Portland is proud of its parks and legacy of preserving open spaces. Green urban planning in the city dates back to John Charles Olmsted, and more than 8,100 acres of ecologically valuable natural areas have been purchased and permanently protected from development.
We’ll visit at least two of the parks on our Portland Tour. Options include Washington Park, Mt Tabor Park, McCall Waterfront Park and when the season is right, the International Rose Test Garden. Your naturalist guide will bring the parks alive by interpreting the urban ecosystems, natural history, flora, and fauna. Portland has been referred to as the most environmentally friendly or “green” city in the United States and your guide will also be sure to share a few examples of how the city has become a leader in community sustainability!
Our Portland tour ends at one of Portland’s greatest treasures: Powell’s Books – the largest independent, new and used bookstore in the world! If you’d like, we’ll drop you off here to browse the brimming shelves.
or call us toll-free at (866) 203-7603!
Would you like something to drink with that?
Pair your Portland tour with a trip to the Columbia Gorge Waterfalls & Wineries in the afternoon!
Half-day Explore Portland Tour
- Activities | Walking, photography, wildlife spotting, bird watching, iconic and educational sightseeing with naturalist interpretation
- Interests | Parks, sustainability, local culture, neighborhoods, bridges, books, ecology, geology, volcanoes, botany, local and natural history
- Group Size | Maximum of 10
- Pick-up and Drop-off at your Downtown Portland Hotel (see our pick-up zone here), the Cruise Terminal, or the Hotel Monaco at 506 SW Washington St.
- Highly qualified naturalist Escape Artist guide
- Travel in adventure-outfitted Mercedes Vans and luxury SUVs
- Seasonal snacks, fresh baked goods and refreshments throughout the tour
- Comprehensive naturalist commentary.
- Duration | 4 hours
- Season | Year-Round
- All-Inclusive Rate | $89 per person. Save 20% on tours departing from Sep 15 – Oct 31!
- Age | 10+
Ask about customizing this as a private escape!
or call us toll-free at (866) 203-7603!
About Us: Evergreen Escapes blends the best natural wonders, boutique wineries, and urban enchantments into small-group day tours and private, custom escapes. We’re a small business with a Big Mission: to create positive change in the world by connecting people with places and nature. Our guides aren’t just naturalists, they’re Escape Artists.
1. What should we wear/bring on our escape?
- We recommend wearing layers that you can add if there is wind or rain, and remove when there is sunshine. We also suggest wearing comfortable walking shoes so that you can explore further at some of our stops. Finally, it’s always a good idea to bring sunglasses and a camera! We provide reusable water bottles, along with other snacks and refreshments. See more on how to Pack and Prepare.
2. How strenuous is this? How much experience do I need to have?
- Our Explore Portland tour includes some easy walking but is appropriate for guests of all fitness levels. Please also feel free to contact us for more details.
3. Can I have vegetarian/ special diet food?
- Yes. Please advise us if you have any food restrictions or requests. We can accommodate vegetarian and lactose intolerant diets. We also can often provide gluten free food when given enough notice.
4. What is your Cancellation Policy?
- Please review our Terms and Conditions for information on changes and cancellations.
5. Should I get Travel Insurance?
- We recommend that you do. Travel insurance can be purchased to cover penalty costs in the event you need to cancel or change your travel plans (subject to approval of claim by the insurer). It also can provide medical and emergency assistance protection as well as some loss and delay coverage. Travel insurance can be purchased directly from Evergreen Escapes.
6. Should I tip my guide?
- We take great pride in orchestrating rich and memorable adventures for each and every client. As a result, many of our clients are inspired to show their appreciation in the form of a gratuity. While gratuities are not an expectation, our guides traditionally receive an amount consistent with the rest of the service industry in the U.S., somewhere between 10% and 20%.
Prefer a private tailor-made adventure for your friends, family or corporate group?
Contact an Escape Artist for a custom tour, morale building adventure, or retreat.
Thank you for Exploring with the Local Experts.